About Me

My name is Joel Ford, and I am just beginning my journey as an educator. I grew up on a sheep farm along the North Saskatchewan River west of Edmonton, AB. Our family farm was situated a few kilometers from a local coal fired power plant with an existing mine and a mine expansion that underwent the process of planning, public consultation, and approval throughout my childhood. Throughout this period of my life, I observed some of the environmental impacts of the existing coal mine on the ground water and air quality, as well as some of the socioeconomic concerns around this type of large-scale project. These experiences led me to pursue an education and career in environmental science where I gained an appreciation for the interconnectedness of life. While I enjoyed the work, I found what I enjoyed the most was explaining the impact of different activities to the clients I was working with. I also felt like I was not able to make a sizeable positive impact in comparison to the difference that I would be able to make in a classroom setting.

These experiences led to my decision to join the profession of teaching so that I could help prepare people to with the necessary skills and understandings to make better decisions for the future as a society. Through my life experiences and my time in the UNBC Education program I have arrived at the place where my focus revolves around helping students understand the interconnectedness of all the systems of the earth we live on and how their decisions have an impact on themselves and others. I want to do my best to support, encourage, and educate the individuals in my classroom while preparing them to be excellent community members and to have the ability to be a part of improving our world.