Artifacts and Reflections

Below is a collection of work from various courses I have taken in the University of Northern British Columbia Education Program

Education 372 Curriculum and Instruction in Math and Science

Throughout Education 372 I had the opportunity to experience a myriad of lessons and activities that I will be able to use in my future classroom. The experiences I had in this class were always engaging and encouraging, and were a great example of how as a science teacher, using hands-on experiences to ground learning in reality can help me reach any students and make my classroom a more exciting place to be. Experiencing these activities from the lens of a teacher candidate was an excellent opportunity to learn from my instructors how to present these activities, and consider what I need to do to ensure that students enjoy the process and meet the desired learning outcomes of the activity.

The use of these hands-on activities are also a great way to incorporate core competencies as they naturally lend themselves to BC’s core competencies as they often require communication and collaboration between students as well as critical thinking skills. I also appreciated this approach from my own personal point of view as throughout my life the most impactful learning I have experienced has been through applying ideas to a physical context.

Various products of activities from EDUC 371/372

The hands-on activities done in this class allowed my to apply my own creativity and love for building, while also exploring important scientific topics. Activities such as designing and building a staircase allow for exploration of Pythagorean theorem while also giving students a chance to be creative and begin internalize many other physics concepts that will help them understand the world around them.

Education 336 – Inclusive Education

One of the activities we carried out in Education 336 was a small group presentation on a case study that was centered around an exceptional learner. Simon Harris and I explored a case study in Inclusive Education: Stories of Success and Hope in a Canadian Context for which I have placed the power point presentation below. This case study was a great opportunity to gain some second hand exposure to exceptional students which will help me prepare to help any exceptional students I will meet going forwards.

Education 401 -Career Education & Education 402 – Diverse Classrooms

This video was my capstone presentation that centered around the use of watersheds as a metaphor to represent my learning in these two classes. My decision to use watersheds for this project was based around my knowledge of watersheds from my background in environmental science including monitoring of construction projects as well as the fact that the complexity and interconnectedness of watersheds represent the profession of teaching well.

Education 441 – Innovative Community Based Approaches

This presentation for Education 441 is a summary of my process of defining and developing an important inquiry for myself going forward in the education program and into the profession of teaching. It was an attempt to contextualize some of the ideas I have been working with throughout the program, and to develop methods to continue to apply my learning as a teacher candidate.