#OneWord2021

My one word for 2021 is connection, as I move forwards in the Bachelor of Education program I want to strive to create connections with the people and ideas that I am interacting with. I feel that due to COVID-19 protocols preventing us from meeting for in person classes and meeting socially outside of the program it has been more difficult to build meaningful connections with the members of my cohort. Through online interactions I have been able to get to know my classmates and teachers well enough to enjoy their company but I would like to get to know them more deeply on a personal and professional level so we can better support each other and better discuss and understand each other’s ideas about teaching.

Over the coming year I also want to focus on building connections in the Prince George teaching community. As an outsider who moved to Prince George as an adult, I want to continue to explore the community and learn more about the city and its people, particularly the Lheidli T’enneh on whose land I reside. I also would like to take the opportunity of having a mentor teacher this winter to build connections with current teachers from whom I can gather valuable experience and mentorship as I look to enter the profession.

I plan to also focus on developing my ability to build connections with students in a classroom setting. To effectively teach I believe I need to be able to build meaningful connections with students and their communities so that I can provide activities and guidance that will spark their learning. I also want to connect with students so that I am able to create a safe and welcoming classroom where students are comfortable enough to explore, create, and develop the skills they will need for the future.

Lastly, I want to continue to build connections between the ideas I am exploring in this program, and to connect that network of ideas to my own experiences and philosophies, as well as the community that I live in. I have greatly enjoyed this learning journey so far and have taken in so many interesting ideas so far. I look forward to building the connections that I will require to bring these ideas into the creation of lesson plans, preparations, and my practice in the classroom.